Using the Time Slider window
The Time Slider window provides controls that allow you to visualize temporal data in ArcGIS. You can invoke the Time Slider window by clicking the Time Slider button on the Tools toolbar. The button is unavailable if you do not have any time-enabled datasets in your map, globe, or scene.
Learn more about enabling time on your data
Features of the Time Slider window
- Click the Play button to play a time animation that steps through your data sequentially. You can pause the time animation at any point by clicking the Pause button .
- Click and drag the Time Slider Control to the right or left to step through your temporal data interactively.
- Click the Next Time Stamp button to step forward to the next time stamp.
- Click the Previous Time Stamp button to step back to the previous time stamp.
- Click the Enable/Disable Time On The Map button to toggle between displaying data based on the time constraints set using the Time Slider Control and displaying all the data without any time constraints.
- Click the Options button to set the time slider properties.
- Click the Export To Video button to export your time visualization to a video or as sequential images.
- Click the Decrease Time Extent button to shorten the time extent of the time slider. This allows you to focus on a shorter period of time.
- Click the Increase Time Extent button to lengthen the time extent of the time slider. This allows you to focus on a longer period of time.Note:
When you increase or decrease the time extent, the start and end times reported on the time slider change.
Learn more about modifying the start and end time of the time slider
- If you have decreased the time extent of the time slider, you can click the Scroll Forward button or Scroll Back button to redefine the time extent of data displayed. This can be thought of as panning across the timeline.
Learn more about scrolling back and forward in time on the time sliderNote:
When you scroll in time, the start and end times reported on the time slider change.
- Click the Full Time Extent button to set the time extent of the time slider to the full time extent.
Learn more about setting the full time extent of the time slider
- Click the Live Mode button to start visualizing the most recent updates to your data in live mode. Click the Live Mode button again to visualize your data interactively in the historic mode.