You can rename a table or feature class in ArcGIS for Desktop by right-clicking it, clicking Rename, then typing a new name.
The following conditions apply:
- If the table is in a database or enterprise, workgroup, or desktop geodatabase, you must connect as the table owner to rename it.
- DB2 does not allow tables to be renamed if the tables have a referential constraint defined on them.
- PostGIS system tables do not update when spatial tables (feature classes) are renamed; therefore, you cannot rename tables that contain a PostGIS geometry column.
Be aware that you cannot rename a feature class in a geodatabase outside of ArcGIS (for example, using SQL) because it does not update the table name in the geodatabase system tables.
- Start ArcMap and open the Catalog window or start ArcCatalog.
- Connect to the geodatabase or database.
- Right-click the table or feature class and click Rename.
The name is highlighted.
- Type a new name.
Names must start with a letter and cannot exceed the maximum number of characters the DBMS allows for table names.